- Health: Concerns grow over CDC’s isolation guidelines — Experts warn of more COVID-19 variants after Omicron — WHO recommends 2 new treatments — What “mild” really means when it comes to Omicron.
- Vaccines: America’s vaccination drive runs out of gas— Puerto Rico expands booster shot requirements— Supreme Court blocks Biden’s vaccine mandate for large employers.
- Politics: Vivek Murthy calls SCOTUS vaccine mandate block “a setback for public health” — Focus group says Biden weak on COVID response, strong on democracy.
- Economy: America’s labor shortage is bigger than the pandemic— — CDC COVID guidance for cruise ships to be optional starting Saturday — The cost of testing.
- States: America struggles to keep schools open — Youngkin ends mandates for masks in schools and COVID vaccinations for state workers.
- World: Beijing reports first local Omicron case weeks before Winter Olympics — Teachers in France stage mass walkout over COVID protocols.
- Variant tracker
- Global: Total confirmed cases as of 6:30 p.m. ET on Sunday: 327,509,303— Total deaths: 5,538,591 — Total vaccine doses administered: 9,620,860,020 — Map
- U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 6:30 p.m. ET on Sunday: 65,698,495 — Total deaths: 850,605 — Map
What should I do? Axios asked the experts:
- When you can be around others after contracting the coronavirus
- Traveling, asthma, dishes, disinfectants and being contagious
- Masks, lending books and self-isolating
- Exercise, laundry, what counts as soap
- Pets, moving and personal health
- Answers about the virus from Axios experts
- What to know about social distancing
- How to minimize your risk
Download our app and follow the Coronavirus channel to get the latest news.
Editor’s note: Johns Hopkins University stopped reporting U.S. COVID-19 recoveries on its dashboard on Dec. 15, citing a Coronavirus Tracking Project post that explained the national data is incomplete since several states do not keep records of recovered patients. It stopped reporting global recoveries and began reporting doses administered in May.
Droolin’ Dog sniffed out this story and shared it with you.
The Article Was Written/Published By: Axios