- Health: 2021 already has a higher global coronavirus death toll than 2020 — Emergency room visits of all kinds dropped amid the pandemic.
- Vaccines: Johnson & Johnson says FDA has approved extended vaccine expiration date — Moderna asks FDA to expand COVID-19 vaccine authorization to adolescents — U.S. racial vaccine disparities persist.
- Cities: Seattle becomes first major city to get 70% fully vaccinated.
- Work: Goldman Sachs requires U.S. employees to report vaccination status.
- Politics: U.S. to buy 500 million Pfizer doses to share with the world — State Department eases travel advisories for dozens of countries.
- World: BioNTech plans to expand mRNA vaccine production into Africa — The global vaccine supply is finally opening up — Fauci sounds alarm over COVID-19 variant surging in U.K.
- 🎧 Podcast: Back to normal without herd immunity.
- Variant tracker: Where different strains are spreading.
- Global: Total confirmed cases as of 6:30 p.m. ET on Thursday: 174,580,713 — Total deaths: 3,764,730 — Total vaccine doses administered: 2,241,798,661 — Map
- U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 6:30 p.m. ET on Thursday: 33,424,929 — Total deaths: 598,671 — Total tests: 472,268,134
What should I do? Axios asked the experts:
- When you can be around others after contracting the coronavirus
- Traveling, asthma, dishes, disinfectants and being contagious
- Masks, lending books and self-isolating
- Exercise, laundry, what counts as soap
- Pets, moving and personal health
- Answers about the virus from Axios experts
- What to know about social distancing
- How to minimize your risk
Download our app and follow the Coronavirus channel to get the latest news.
Editor’s note: Johns Hopkins University stopped reporting U.S. COVID-19 recoveries on its dashboard on Dec. 15, citing a Coronavirus Tracking Project post that explained the national data is incomplete since several states do not keep records of recovered patients. It stopped reporting global recoveries and began reporting doses administered in May.
Droolin’ Dog sniffed out this story and shared it with you.
The Article Was Written/Published By: Axios