Texas officials have launched an investigation into reports alleging sexual and other abuse and neglect at a San Antonio facility housing migrant teenagers who’d arrived from the southern border, Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday.
Why it matters: The investigation into the three separate reports at the Freeman Coliseum marks the first time state officials have announced a probe into an emergency facility set up by the U.S. government in Texas in response to a significant rise in border crossings of unaccompanied youths, AP notes.
What they’re saying: Abbott said at a news conference that there had been complaints that “children at this facility have been sexually assaulted” and that some weren’t eating throughout the day.
- Other complaints include that “children with COVID are not being physically separated from children without COVID” and that there aren’t enough staff to safely supervise those housed at the facility.
- He said the center “should shut down immediately,” as he blamed the Biden administration for the incident.
- The Biden administration did not immediately respond to Axios’ request for comment.
Editor’s note: This a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.
Droolin’ Dog sniffed out this story and shared it with you.
The Article Was Written/Published By: Rebecca Falconer