An alarming number of Americans say they’d reject a COVID-19 vaccine, posing a risk to the country’s ability to achieve widespread immunity.
Why it matters: Vaccine adoption is a matter of trust, and trust in most institutions is at generational lows. Anthony Fauci has said 70-75% of Americans will need to vaccinate to get the country on the road to normality.
Two new polls show trouble brewing:
- More than half of New York City firefighters (who are 77% white), said in a union poll that they won’t get a COVID vaccination when it becomes available to first responders, the New York Post reports.
- Fewer than half of Black respondents (42%) in a Pew Research poll released Friday said they’d definitely or probably get a COVID vaccine if it were available today.
Trust has risen since early November, Margaret Talev reports from the Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus Index.
- In that stretch, three pharmaceutical trials have returned positive findings on the efficacy of their COVID vaccines.
- In our poll taken Nov. 20-23, for the first time in months, more than half of Americans (51%) say they’re likely to take a first-generation COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it’s available. College-educated and white Americans and Democrats are driving the trend.
- 70% overall (55% of Black respondents and 60% of Republicans) say they’d take the vaccine if public health officials say it’s safe and effective.
- Pew finds that overall, 60% of respondents would definitely or probably take the vaccine if it were available today — up 9 points from 51% in September.
The Post reports that 55% of 2,053 firefighters polled last week by the Uniformed Firefighters Association (about 25% of 8,200 active members), answered “No” when asked: “Will you get the COVID-19 Vaccine from Pfizer when the Department makes it available?”
- Firefighters union president Andy Ansbro told The Post: “A lot of them probably feel they are not in a risk category, they are younger, stronger, they may have already had it and gotten through it, and feel it’s not their problem.”
Droolin’ Dog sniffed out this story and shared it with you.
The Article Was Written/Published By: Mike Allen